|Year||Team||Position on Staff|
|New York Knicks
Grand Rapids Hoops (CBA)
New Jersey Nets
U.S. Olympic Team (Dream Team)
|Assistant Coach/Director of Player Personnel
Head Coach/President/General Manager
Assistant Coach/Assistant General Manager
- Coach Suhr’s contributions to basketball cannot be mentioned without the enormous role he has played in shaping the next generation of NBA players and coaches. Coach Suhr’s impact extends to Dominique Wilkins, Doc Rivers, Spud Webb, Isiah Thomas, Chuck Daly, Chauncey Billups, Marcus Camby, Tracy McGrady, Stephon Marbury, and Steve Francis.
AREAS OF BASKETBALL EXPERTISE
- Developed “Jordan Rules.” The “Jordan Rules” were a defensive strategy employed by the Detroit Pistons against Michael Jordan in order to limit his effectiveness on offense.
- Expert in Pick-n-roll offense
- Extensive all-around basketball knowledge
HOW I GOT INTO COACHING
Coach Suhr’s high school coach was Hubie Brown who was a major influence on him. At the age of 21, Coach Suhr was hired as an Assistant Coach by Dick Vitale at the University of Detroit. Coach Suhr began his professional basketball career at 28 with the Atlanta Hawks. Working over the years with coaches such as Hubie Brown, Chuck Daly, Lenny Wilkens, Mike Fratello, and Isiah Thomas have increased his knowledge and desire to continue coaching.
COACHING ACCOMPLISHMENTS/ TEAM ACHIEVEMENTS
|– 1999 NBA Playoffs (Orlando Magic)
– 1996 CBA Coach of the Year Award
– 1994 NBA Playoffs (New Jersey Nets)
– 1993 NBA Playoffs (New Jersey Nets)
– 1992 Olympic Gold Medal (U.S.A.)
– 1991 Eastern Conference Finals (Detroit Pistons)
– 1990 NBA Champions (Detroit Pistons)
– 1990 Assistant Coach Eastern Conference All-Stars
|– 1989 NBA Champions (Detroit Pistons)
– 1988 Eastern Conference Semifinals (Atlanta Hawks)
– 1988 Assistant Coach Eastern Conference All-Stars (Atlanta Hawks)
– 1987 NBA Eastern Conference Semifinals (Atlanta Hawks)
– 1984 NBA Playoffs (Atlanta Hawks)
– 1982 NBA Playoffs (Atlanta Hawks)
– 1980 NBA Playoffs (Atlanta Hawks)
– Coach Suhr is the president and founder of Off The Court Inc., which is a consulting and coaching development company.
– Professional Speaker