NBA Coaches – both Head and Assistant Coaches – are teachers and leaders. The NBA Coaches are dedicated to working both nationally and within the NBA cities with local leaders, officials and law enforcement agencies to create long-lasting and sustainable change in those communities.
The National Basketball Coaches Association (“NBCA”), through its NBA Coaches and in conjunction with the Obama Foundation and the Equal Justice Initiative announce the formation of Coaches FOR Racial Justice, a long-term initiative focusing on truth telling and education, raising awareness of and teaching the history of racial injustice, impacting non-partisan policy reform, and working with local grassroots organizations to create change in every NBA market.
At the national level, Coaches FOR Racial Justice is collaborating with the Obama Foundation and the Equal Justice Initiative to emphasize the importance of education by teaching the history of racial injustice and raising awareness about key issues through national convenings and support for public campaigns, initiatives, and programs focused on America’s history of racial oppression and our shared responsibility to create a more equal future.
Coaches FOR Racial Justice in Action at the National Level:
- NBA Town Hall Discussion with Bryan Stevenson from the Equal Justice Initiative
- National PSA (in collaboration with Bryan Stevenson and the Equal Justice Initiative) discussing the importance of truth and justice in confronting our history to overcome racial inequality
At the local level, Coaches FOR Racial Justice is treating every NBA market as unique to develop a specifically tailored strategic course of action each coaching staff can commit to. In order to create sustainable and long-lasting change in every NBA city, each Team, through their Coaches, is collaborating with local grassroots organizations.
Teams Turning Arenas Into Voting Sites:
- Atlanta Hawks Partnering to Transform State Farm Arena into Georgia’s Largest-Ever Voting Precinct
- Charlotte Hornets to Transform Spectrum Center into Early Voting Precinct
- Cleveland Cavaliers to Transform Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse into Voting Site
- Dallas Mavericks to Transform American Airlines Center into Largest Voting Center in Dallas County on Election Day
- Detroit Pistons to Transform Detroit Practice Facility into Voting Site for 2020 Elections
- Houston Rockets to Transform Toyota Center in Voting Site
- Indiana Pacers to Transform Bankers Life Fieldhouse into Voting Site
- Los Angeles Clippers to Transform The L.A. Forum into Voting Site for 2020 Elections
- Los Angeles Lakers latest to use team facility as voting center
- Milwaukee Bucks‘ arena granted approval to be voting location, co-owner Marc Lasry says
- New York Knicks to Transform Madison Square Garden into Voting Site for over 60,000 Eligible Voters
- Philadelphia 76ers – The Center to be Used for 2020 General Election Activities
- Sacramento Kings to Open Golden 1 Center as Voting Center for Fall Elections
- San Antonio Spurs to Transform AT&T Center into Mega Voting Site for 2020 Elections
- Utah Jazz to Transform Vivint Smart Home Arena into Voting Site
- Washington Wizards to Repurpose Capital One Arena into Voting Site for 2020 Elections
In Addition to Collaborating with Local Grassroots Organizations, Coaches FOR Racial Justice Plan to Engage In:
- Non-Partisan Policy Reform – 8CantWait/law enforcement reforms – Each coaching staff will learn their city’s political structure and landscape
- President Obama’s Mayor’s Pledge – Each coaching staff will work to address police use of force reforms by engaging with leaders for accountability and community oversight – Obama Foundation– My Brother’s Keeper – Each coaching staff will engage in building safe and supportive communities for boys and young men of color
- Local police Departments – Each coaching staff will work to understand police officer conditions (training, recruitment, on-site practices, etc.) and raise awareness about mental health issues impacting police officers
- Local Communities – Options are limitless – Each coaching staff will find a focus and work toward attainable change