The National Basketball Coaches Association (NBCA) is the labor association that represents basketball coaches in the National Basketball Association. Founded in 1976 by legendary Boston Celtic player and coach, Tommy Heinsohn, the NBCA consists of all NBA Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches and alumni.
The organization works closely with the NBA on all matters that pertain to the coaching profession.
THE NBA COACHES ASSOCIATION WAS ESTABLISHED TO ACHIEVE THE FOLLOWING GOALS:
- To promote the profession of NBA Basketball Coach
- To assist in securing for its members maximum salary opportunities, disability and retirement benefits and individual and group marketing opportunities
- To act as a liaison between the NBA and its body of coaches
- To organize regular meetings for its members where information and ideas concerning the sport of basketball and coaching may be exchanged
- To create opportunities for coaches in radio, television, the internet, publishing, and other related activities, and for opportunities in international coaching clinics and international basketball
- To maintain contact with and support coaches between assignments
- To take advantage of current technology as it applies to the game of basketball
- Provide a forum for the betterment of the NBA coaches profession